axle was complete but needed a gasket on the diff cover.
It's kind of cool looking and adds more gear oil capacity
and has a rock guard.
cover off I took a good look at the gears. They are
precision 4.88 ratio with an ARB air powered locking
axle is a Dana 44 from a '79 Ford F150. It is missing the
knuckles out and the radius arms and coils. I can reuse some
of the parts from my TTB suspension and will have to fab up
others. I will keep visiting junkyards and looking online
for the rest
This is the
ARB air compressor with tank for locking the rear diff when
I'm off road.
looking for a good place to mount the compressor but with
California smog there isn't a whole lot of room to mount it.
I decided to remove the stock bottle jack and mount it there
since the bottle jack wouldn't even reach the axle fully
extended with the 6" lift. After removing the jack I
took the mount and cut off the part I wouldn't need.
I then tack
welded the bottom plate from the compressor on the jack
mount and test fitted. It would have hit the hinge spring
from the hood so I cut the tacks and re-welded it in a
better position. Here is the mount after painting.
it and bolted it to the compressor.
It's a good
clears the hinge spring.
don't have all the parts for the front axle I started with
the back one. My Bronco is outgrowing the jacks and jack
stands so I had to jack it up, remove the tires then set it
down on the jack stands.
removing the drive shaft, brake lines, shocks, ABS sensor
and parking brake cables I called it a day.
day I removed the axle and dragged it in the garage. The
dirty one is my old axle.
yokes were different I had to switch them out.
the axle under the Bronco and using two jacks got in place.
reattached the brake lines and called it a day.
installed the U-Bolts, bled the brakes, attached the tires,
shocks, drive shaft and started the parking brake lines but
one was sticking so once again I called it a day.
I like the
look of the new axle.
weekend I removed the passenger side parking brake cable
from my old axle and moved it to the new one. This is easier
typed than done. I realized how much I hate working on drum
brakes. Not so much taking them apart but putting them back
together. It's a PITA.
I got it
back together and took it for a test drive. The lower
gearing did wonders for the performance. It was like going
from a 4 cylinder engine to a V-8. I still need to connect
the air line to the locker and hook up the wiring harness so
the ARB will work.
Note to ARB
owners who are removing the unit to sell. Please take the
time to unbolt the air line and not cut it. It is a PITA to
get the fittings back on the line. Even new ones.
manage to get it re-attached.
the switches on the dash using the original metal switch
mount to add strength.
finish the wiring harness.