This is what the vale train looked
like at 104k miles. The previous owner obviously used Penzoil.
The valve covers
were leaking so I decided to change the gaskets. I knocked enough
crud loose that it caused the oil pickup tube to clog. I pulled the
covers back off and after trying many methods to remove the crud I
resorted to hitting it with a pressure washer. I first pluged the
oil drain holes then after only a few seconds it made a huge
difference. I used air to blow off all the water then removed the
plugs and poured oil all over the valve train. I ran it for ten
minutes then changed the oil and filter.
The oil pickup was
completely clogged. The stuff you see at the bottom had completely
covered the screen before I took this pic.